Sunday, March 13, 2011

Make these adorable Cup Cakes for your doll

Make these adorable Cup Cakes for your doll with oven bake polymer clay. I have made these for my twin Nieces birthday party in April. I am going to fly to Montreal  to do their doll birthday party. These will be part of the decoration and the loot bags at the end of the party. These are so easy to make and you can make 4 for under $5. I bought Polymer clay on sale at Micheals the craft store when it was on sale for $1.49 but it is usually $2.29 for a small square, you need one square of white for the icing and one color for the base of the cup cake. You will also need a tooth pick to make the indents in the side of the clay. This makes the bottoms look like wrappers. You should always work on wax paper.   To start with you need to portion your clay both color and white in to four equal pieces. You will need to work the clay pieces in your hand as polymer clay is quite stiff. If you work it for a few minutes in your hands the clay becomes much easier to work with. You will start with shaping the bottom, Make a ball then squish the ball between your fingers and thumb making a wheel shape. it should be 3/4 of an inch high. To get it the same way all the way around  roll the sides on wax paper.Then hold the clay between your thumb and your index finger and use the toothpick to make the indents around the cup cake by pushing the toothpick lengthwise against the side of the cup cake base. Next wash your hands as the color will transfer to your hands. Next take the white and roll each piece into long thin snakes. once you have it to the thickness you like you can wrap it around the top of the cup cake base and wind it to the top of the cupcake, see the photo if you are confused. I added "sprinkles" made with left over clay colors I had, you can add some or leave it plain. Bake them according to the manufactures directions and let them cool completely. I can not wait to show these to the girls in person, they have only seen them over skype and in photos!
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so email me at karenmowen@gmail.com or leave a comment here. 

5 comments:

  1. Karen these are just completely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I have a weakness for anything cupcake, so this is going right in my "rainy day" file.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina @ OurcustomboutiqueApril 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

    Love love love these... Thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished making doll-sized treats out of polymer clay, and I made some cupcakes for my dolls that look quite similar to these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen - these are too cute! And Happy Belated Birthday ^_^

    ReplyDelete