Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Making Doll Popcorn

I thought this was a cute idea from the American Girl doll book Doll Play, however they suggest gluing the popcorn in a doll bowl, I prefer the popcorn box idea so I found this great site that I could print a paper box and made it doll size. I got the box idea from this great site http://designdazzle.blogspot.com/2011/01/family-movie-night-ideas-and-planning.html . Next I printed it out and I covered it with peel and stick clear shelf paper so I would not worry about it getting wrecked easy, you can print on to card stock if you are doing a few, I just printed on paper.  Then I followed the instructions and hot glued the box together, you can tape yours if you would like. Next I used 6 packing peanuts in the bottom to fill up the box, and then broke apart some Styrofoam, the kind that breaks into little balls that resembles "pop corn" I then hot glued the popcorn into the popcorn box. This is a quick but messy craft, the Styrofoam gets everywhere and hot glue makes it difficult if I make more i would go with white glue, it may take longer but it would look better. The book recommends coloring the popcorn with a yellow felt but I am leaving mine plain, don't get me wrong I love buttered popcorn, but I only have washable felts and I know that will just rub off. I think this would be a great sleep over craft or spring break craft for any doll lover and her friends. Best part is it is up cycling and fun.
I would love to hear from you on this or any of my posts, you can email me at karenmowen@gmail.com or you can leave a comment here.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! gotta make this for the dolls movie nights, lets see: Kaya, Josefina, Rebecca, Kit,Sarah,Elizabeth, Addy..... wow lots of popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this with my daughter and we use cotton balls...we stuffed big cotton balls in the bottom and for the top, we tore pieces of cotton, dipped in water, and rolled them up...after they dried a bit, we used a yellow marker to add little spots of "butter" to the cotton balls...got the idea off youTUBE

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY DO U HAVE DIFFERENT STUFF TO MAKE FOR AMERICAN GIRL DOLL AND LOVE THE POPCORN

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure what you mean by different stuff, there are lots of ways you can make American girl sized popcorn. This is just one of them, if you search American Girl Popcorn on my blog you should find at least two other tutorials or Google it, thank you for taking time to read my blog and for writing to me.

    ReplyDelete