Sunday, November 11, 2012

Rememberance Day Here in Canada


November 11th is Remembrance day in Canada. A day of Remembrance for all those who have served our country in giving their lives in service of our country.

Canadians wear Poppies on our labels over our hearts and today I wanted to share with you the craft I did last year for Doll Diaries. Click here to see how it was made.
 This is a photo of Lieutenant Colonel John Alexander McCrae, MD
who wrote the poem in Flanders Fields. He was inspired to write this by the poppies that continued to grow over the graves of soldiers during the first world war. This poem is forever etched in my memory and is one of my countries best known literary works.


"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
   That mark our place; and in the sky
   The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
   Loved and were loved, and now we lie
         In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
   The torch; be yours to hold it high.
   If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
         In Flanders fields."

Today I wish to thank the brave men and women serving in our armed forces, their families and those who have made it possible for me to enjoy the freedoms I do today. For more information please visit http://veterans.gc.ca/eng/


As with all my posts I would love to hear from you please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com 



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Karen!
    Thanks for this, I find there are not enough people wearing poppies anymore, very sad!
    Thanks again for your great blog!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jean, I was actually in Arizona this Remembrance day and I was wearing my poppy as were many many other Canadians in the crowd! It is important to remember, observe and honor all military families.

    ReplyDelete